Saturday, May 18, 2013

Island Girl Nail Polish: My First Batch, AND I LIVE IN HAWAII! -____-


Hi guys,
I haven't even heard of Island Girl till I read about it in an article about cuticle care a couple of weeks/a month ago. It was on Pinterest I think. I thought they only made the cuticle oil too! I didn't really pay attention to it because I didn't really like oils on my hands, I much preferred cream. Then I found out that they only sell it at Abc stores. I thought they sold the oil at Sephora or Ulta or something. There are a ton of Abc stores on Maui, like why haven't I heard of them? I find it so sad lol. Well it kind of makes sense since I don't really venture into Abc stores, they're more for tourists, which means tourists = expensive. I decided to check out the nearest Abc store for Island Girl; the display was so full!




Everything was pretty much fully stocked, which makes for a GORGEOUS display. I love fully stocked displays. Ok lets get started. I first reached for the Island Girl cuticle oil because that was a little less overwhelming. From what I saw, they only had about 6 different scents. I picked Hibiscus which was the most "islandy". It has little dried up flowers in it, I'm assuming for the smell.




The bottles resemble China Glaze bottles or nail polish from Icing. The caps are matte black with a Sephora looking "S" design going around it. Each bottle says
 Island Girl
Hawaii
 on the front with a pink flower above it. The back says
Island Girl Nail Color
Formulated to promote the growth of healthy nails
Keep away from heat and flame
The bottom has a sticker with the number of the polish, the name, barcode, and ingredients.


Aloha Luau and Honolulu Orchid not pictured


It was really hard choosing which colors to get. I realized I lacked neons in my collection so I picked up a lot of pinks and a couple of different colors. All of the colors that I bought dry matte by the way. 



First color I have is Molokai Dream. It is a coral pink color with a subtle shimmer. The formula for these polishes are thick but manageable. As I said above, they dry matte. People either love it or hate it. This polish only required two coats to cover up any streaks or imperfections.





The next color I have is called Tropical Breeze. Its an neon orange with a small pink shimmer. Application was one of the better ones out of the bunch. Two coats to reach opacity.




This color is called Island Heat. I thought the name was pretty fitting. It's a hot, neon pink with a nice shimmer. This was one of my favorites. I thought it went well with my medium skin tone. Application was the same as Tropical Breeze and two coats to opacity.



This color is called Surfer Babe. One of my most favorite colors in my collection. It is so hard to photograph the true color, which makes me very sad because the color is so unique and pretty! In the photos, it looks aqua-green, or even mint in some lights. The actual color is a very pretty easter grass green. The second photo was taken with my phone and it was the closest I could get to the true color. Just imagine that color but a bit deeper. It was one of those colors that when you wear it, you can't stop looking at your hands. Good application, opaque in two coats.





NUBS! Lol, well this color is called Aloha Luau. The color is a muted purple with micro sized glitter. Not a keeper for me. I'm going to return this next time I go to the store. The purple isn't as bright as I'd like it to be, still pretty though. Application was nice, opaque in two coats.



This one is another favorite. It's called Honolulu Orchid. This is a deeper pink with a little bit of purple, almost a berry/magenta color. Good application, opaque in two coats.


What do you all think about the Island Girl nail polishes? The formula was very surprising to me, I totally wasn't expecting it to dry matte. I wore Surfer Babe for a couple of days and no chipping/peeling. I do plan on purchasing more, they have a nice range of neon colors which I do lack in. 
Once I find out more about overseas (I live in Hawaii) nail polish shipping, I'll be open to do nail mail swaps with these polishes!

Thanks for reading and, as always, keep polishing!

1 comment:

  1. I just visited Kauai and bought hula girl and Aloha Color. Love them and I swear the green color has a coconut smell in it.

    ReplyDelete